Saturday, November 29, 2008

In It for the Long Haul

     I am learning how very much I enjoy self-gratification. America is the place to be for those of us who want instant results. Recently, God has been helping me learn about changes I need to make inwardly and outwardly in my life. That deep desire to change mixed with my desire for instant results has (and seems to always have) been catastrophic. When five pounds don't melt off in a day or my temper flares after I just promised to be a patient person, I want to throw in the towel!
     While waiting to hear back from churches and being at the mercy of our (albeit wonderful) supporters, God is teaching me patience. We're aren't sitting around doing nothing; we're pretty busy. That is exactly what God is helping me discover about growing more like Him.
     When we first came back the the States, I decided I would stop eating chips and drinking cokes for the most part. I was at a healthy weight, and I wanted to stay that way. Just the other day, I realized that it was no longer a struggle to resist those things. In fact, I might try to eat a chip or drink a coke, but I ended up not liking it. Wow! I believe that principle can apply to my more inward improvements. Maybe someday in the future I will notice that I am instantly forgiving someone who hurts me as opposed to building up hurt and resentment inside. May it me so...for me and for you! Until that day, I'm just going to keep praying and keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment